Re: Re: Re: Florida State U.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett on May 27, 1999 at 14:44:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Florida State U. posted by Dave on May 27, 1999 at 13:02:44:

I apologize for anyone that I offended with my previous posting. That was not my intent at all. Nor was I trying to bash the Music Department at FSU. Dave, however, is not valid when he says that only the people who aren't good players, or those who can't "hack" it leave FSU. The friends that I've had from FSU left because they had bad experiences with faculty. They were generally happy with the other brass players (I've heard amazing recordings of some brass quintets), and with the large ensembles. I do not judge a school by the caliber of the musicians. Instead I take into consideration all aspects of education. As for Paul Ebbers...I've heard nothing but great things about him...a very good friend of mine studied from him for years, before transferring, and has nothing but good things to say about him (he actually bought an old Alexander from him). But...I don't believe that Ebbers is necessarily the best in the state. Hunsberger, in my humble opinion, is a better teacher. Gail Robertson (who is teaching at UF) is a great teacher (I study with her). If you are only interested in the quality of the tuba studio, I reccomend going to FSU or USF, and if I had to choose...I'd go to USF. I am a student at the University of Florida, and I love studying from Gail, but there is not as much to offer at UF as there is from some other state schools. If you want a great teacher, a great faculty, less than stellar facilities, and great friends...I reccomend UF. Thanks for listening...
-Brett

Follow Ups: