Re: play tuba AND trumpet ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Howard on May 19, 1999 at 13:52:27:

In Reply to: play tuba AND trumpet ? posted by JRTapes on May 19, 1999 at 13:15:10:

Playing trumpet and tuba is not at all difficult. Most people simply have not tried it. We vibrate (buzz) our lips into a mouthpiece (any size), blow a steady stream of air, and out comes a useable sound that can be developed with practice. Try it sometime. Play your tuba for 15 minutes or so, then pick up your trumpet (or trombone, horn, euph, etc.)and play. Things will happen if you buzz and blow. (It's always a plus if you hear in your mind what pitch you want to play before you play it.)

One of the most interesting experiences I ever had was recording a CD of Bach's "Magnificat" wherein I played picc trumpet; then, two days later, recording Orff's "Carmina Burana" in which I played tuba. (Admitedly, these orchestras were not the CSO; but they were quite respectable semipro groups here in the SF Bay area.) Also, in a single concert, I played alto trumpet in a Rimsky piece, and 3rd horn in a Brahms symphony.

The point of this is that it is possible to play many instruments fairly well.

Follow Ups: