Re: Cool musical experiences

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on May 19, 1999 at 09:54:36:

In Reply to: Cool musical experiences posted by Dave Seip on May 17, 1999 at 14:57:38:

I've had no experience with Sibelius, but I'll remember to get to a clinic for a shot if I do.... :) (old joke, I'm sure!)

ANYWAY,
This was last season out at Empire Statesmen. After my semester finished, I drove out to NY to get into rehearsals. We had maybe three weekends' worth to go before our first show (a junior corps show in Toledo).

Our show was based on "West Side Story", and I still hadn't seen some of the music yet. The weekends started with Friday evening music rehearsals, then Saturday and Sunday were loaded with learning drill and coordinating it with the music. The rehearsals lasted for at least ten hours on Saturdays and over six hours on Sundays, and we were getting antsy. We were working on fixing problems and making changes so much that those of us marching didn't think about how cool the product might be becoming.

So, we do the performance in Toledo. We're the only senior corps there, and we're the first ones on for the night. Through most of our show, we've gotten good amounts of cheering & applause. Later, after a hit in "America", our entire lead soprano line does some wailing by itself, and the crowd goes nuts -- some even stand up. We're feeling pretty good by now, so we power the rest of the way through the song, crank the horns down, and surprise, surprise -- the whole concert side is standing and cheering! Best reaction of the night, I've been told. From that point, we knew we had a good product, and the rest of our season went very well (never lost a DCA show, and always won by over a point).

One of many cool experiences for me, but that's just the latest.

Seeya,
Leland

Follow Ups: