Re: Re: Re: M. Weston 2145

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on May 07, 1999 at 08:55:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: M. Weston 2145 posted by Brian Ridley on May 07, 1999 at 01:02:51:

Right now, there is one of each on eBay. The Mira(f)one 186CC might only be a four-valver, but that could be fairly easily remedied (Dillon, whomever), if the price is right.

Opinions, such as mine and others, are handy, but (just like the op.-ed. page in the newspaper) try not to base your opinions on others opinions, base them on experience. Go try a MW-2145, and maybe invest the (probably not much more than $160 round-trip) to have one sent to you for trial.

Another "opinion": If you delay your purchase and save up more $$, or pick up a "night" job, that might put you in up in $8,000 - $10,000 shopping range with more options. Hirsbrunner 4/4's are no intonation "pic-nic", but they sure are more fun to play (to me) than 2145's. (I have never owned either a MW-2145 nor a HB-4/4 piston.)

If you don't already own one, I recommend buying one of the new (cheap!) Korg CA-20 Chromatic Tuners. They work well. (There are probably tuners that are a little better, but not this cheap.) I sell them for about $25, and I'm sure that others do, too. Please don't select a tuba without utilizing a tuner...and after the horn is completely warmed up.

Follow Ups: