Re: Re: Who taught the godfathers???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Frederiksen on March 30, 2003 at 19:50:21:

In Reply to: Re: Who taught the godfathers??? posted by MA on March 30, 2003 at 18:24:36:

Guess someone caught that I have numerous brass bios on my website.

During ITEC in Regina, several students were asking about the likes of Bell, Jacobs, Phillips, Fletcher, Matteson and others. I put myself in the place of a student and searched the net trying to find out about these people. I looked on the websites for all brass organizations and, while all organization award their highest awards at each conference, not all list them on their website and only the IHS has short bios of their most prominent members.

I talked to Harvey Phillips about this and he said that it should be somewhere on the web and if the brass organizations do not want to do it, I should have it on my site. It was in 2000 that I created the "Brass Players Honor Role" listing the exclusive club of all those awarded with their instrument's highest honor. Mr Phillips gave me bios of Mr Bell and himself to start things out then I searched the net where I found some bios. Surprisingly, I could not find anything about the likes of John Fletcher and Kurahei Sato, for example. So, here's a problem. I have been around the block several times with research and I came up with a blank. What about a student looking for info? Now you see why there postings asking about some of these players.

Last weekend at the ITEA regionals, Carole Nowicke did a presentation on Mr Bell (at Ball State) and I did a presentation on Mr Jacobs (at UMass). I hope students walked out of there with more of an understanding about these great tubists. Hopefully more of this will go on!

Follow Ups: