Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bb or CC for college

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 27, 2003 at 17:19:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bb or CC for college posted by dp on March 27, 2003 at 12:45:50:

Ken Sloan and I have been discussing this off and on for a while, because he and I both were trying out new horns about the same time a few months ago.

It is his theory that each tuba presents a different set of strengths and weaknesses. As we become accustomed to our old instruments, we improve in the areas where the horn is weak to compensate for those weaknesses, and we don't improve as much where the horn is strong because we don't have to. Then we play a new horn, which is has a different mix of strengths and weaknesses. The strengths can overwhelm us because they now line up with our weaknesses and overcome them, while we can easily overcome the weaknesses of the instrument which now line up with our strengths.

I'm not sure that either he or I would take this too far, because it must be true that strengths and weaknesses are only influenced by our instruments, not dictated by them. And those of us that play multiple instruments may benefit from that if the instruments impose different challenges.

Even so, it explains why a new instrument can seem so impressive at first playing.

After some months with the new horn, we may backslide where we used to be strong, and improve where we used to be weak, with the result that our old instrument would be suddenly impressive if we went back to it.

So a good test is to compare the new instrument with the old (if it's still available) to see if the first impressions hold up after a few months. I've conducted that test between the Holton and both the York Master the Miraphone, and the things I liked about the Holton on day one are still there. But I have passed the point where I lapse into uncontrollable giggles more than two or three times in a rehearsal.

On the other hand, I've tried many new instruments that didn't particularly impress me compared to my current instruments, so novelty isn't everything.

Rick "who likes long courtships" Denney

Follow Ups: