Re: Re: Poor HS Student in need of Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on March 25, 2003 at 11:19:08:

In Reply to: Re: Poor HS Student in need of Euphonium posted by JoeS on March 24, 2003 at 19:05:05:

Ah, old-fashioned values. They are so incredibly rare. Note I did not say "better" values, I said old-fashioned ones.

Here are the results of my old-fashioned values, that include not going into debt for anything but the mortgage:
I have no payments except my mortgage.
I have waited, and waited, and waited, to purchase things I wanted, until I had saved up the money for them.
I had my first house paid for in 10 years. My second house is almost paid for because I had all the principal from my first house to put on it right away. Other than needed maintenance, no upgrades happen to the house until it is paid for.

I drive an old beat-up but reliable vehicle. It's not showy; it needs a paint job. It's not likely to be stolen.

I own a plethora of musical instruments, that I did not shop for until I had the money.

I don't have fancy furniture. Same category as the truck; functional but not splendid.

I think all this came about because I was reared with the American concept of an allowance. My parents did not supply anything but the necessities....food, clothing, shelter. Anything else, I had to save up for and purchase myself. It set life-long habits that have served me extremely well; instead of going around begging others for money all the time, I take care of myself.

Like I said, old-fashioned values. Generations after mine seem to have had parents who doled out money based on the begging of the children, instead of the allowance concept, and we see the results all the time.

No insult intended to the original poster....just making some general observations. Not very tuba-related, except that I own two very fine tubas, that I saved up for before I bought them.

Mary Ann

Follow Ups: