Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: theory and tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MG on March 22, 2003 at 01:17:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: theory and tuba posted by Tony Z. on March 21, 2003 at 08:05:53:

Yes, that makes sense. I was actually referring to "part-writing" exercizes in theory (where they assume that no one has ever composed before). Obviously, this is not a direct criticism of my own writing, but I just reacted badly at first to the whole thing because I had enjoyed "freedom" for so long. I have avoided studying composition formally (I'm a tuba major officially) until I think the time is right, and I'm sure that their response would be much less rule driven. Nevertheless, the composition professors at my school require that one complete the theory sequence before being allowed to study privately, so I continue to be skeptical. One of them actually told me that he stopped composing for a year and a half while he was first learning theory. In fact, the last year and a half has been my best yet compositionally. I think theory has stumulated my mind, but has not necessarily introduced me to anything that I plan to use.

Follow Ups: