Re: Re: Re: Re: theory and tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony Z. on March 21, 2003 at 08:05:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: theory and tuba posted by MG on March 21, 2003 at 01:01:57:

I teach applied tuba, but have two degrees in composition.

I think that the rules that are taught are simply to show you where our art has been, where it's going, and where you fit in. "Your Voice" is a complicated matter. It is comprised of not just your ideas, but those of all of the composers that have come before. You've heard enough people say, "That sounds like Stravinsky..." I believe that most teachers are trying to show what others have done and why it works. I agree with you that it is virtually impossible to quantify these abstract concepts, but I think that there is a need to know why we like what we like, and why certain things work.

In the 21st century, we can do whatever we want. Sometimes having that much freedom can be daunting. Tell me, when your teacher said that what you did was wrong, was he/she commenting on pure mechanics, or content? Sometimes good content can be blurred by bad mechanics. Sometimes, though, overdone mechanics can get in the way of subtle feeling. It's a tough road to trod, and that's why many struggle so hard for very little. Your voice will be heard because you have the full command of your language.

This is verbose, but I hope it makes sense!!

Good Luck!!
TZ

Follow Ups: