a pause for thought (my two bits)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Micky Wrobleski on March 18, 2003 at 06:04:06:

Well, here are my responses to the questions I posed earlier:

1) Why is an orchestra necessary?

An orchestra is necessary for a number for reasons. They follow in no particular order. The first reason is the preservation of the art form of live performance. Live performances have been around as long as music itself has. It is a practice, which, through private study and concert attendance or, in some cases it is by being taught from one family member to another, has been passed on from generation to another. The second reason is the audio preservation of modern day performance practices to log the evolution of musical interpretations and techniques. The third reason is that in any city, which is a large economic center, they need to also be a cultural center as well. In these cities you will find many museums, movie theaters, many playhouses, and one (or more) concert halls. Orchestras bring with them, by the people who support them, great civic pride. Which brings up the next reason for their importance-orchestras are an advertising tool. Orchestras are a product to which a personal business or large company can attach their name. Orchestras are also a means by which people can satiate their need for an “evening of sophisticated entertainment”. Finally, orchestras offer a home for those of us whose life is fed by the constant emersion in an art form that has little relevance to many but so much to us.

2) Why should people want to spend their money on concert tickets when they could spend the money on a Vienna beef, fries, and a coke after a hard day of filling potholes on the Eisenhower? Or, since city workers make decent money, why should someone want to pay for a ticket if they are working at a Mc Donald’s dodging bullets from a local Polish gang on the corner of Archer and Cicero? (Streets and locations don't matter-the point should be obvious)

Well, this is a prickly pear. The reason they SHOULD want to part with their hard-earned money to support our art is that they WANT to. I have many friends, who, while they think what I do is great, won’t drive to hear a concert that is maybe a 30 minutes to an hour away. Why, not because I don’t ask them, I guarantee you. But, the fact is, they don’t want to leave the house to pay for parking, concert tickets and then spend all the driving time only to hear a classical music concert. If the Stones were playing, you can bet they would be there or even wait in line to buy the tickets. Am I resentful? Maybe I am a little. But, we all make our own choices… Every major holiday, when the family is together, I am always grilled about what a person playing in symphony “X “or philharmonic “Y” can make. When I tell them what the base pay might be, their first reaction is always that of laughter and, “You mean they pay someone THAT much to play the tuba?” That’s usually followed by a gallon of spruced up eggnog, or the holiday drink du jour. Even though they know how much musicians practice AND the great pressures that they face, they still scoff at the salaries. Granted, my family is all working stiffs, so, their point of view is slightly eschewed. But, at the same time, it is all to relevant, because it is these people who we need to get support from in order to stay alive. My parents live about 10 hours, by car, from Chicago and 3 hours from Minneapolis. I have been lucky to play with the local bands on a number of occasions, and not once did they come down to hear a concert. It’s not because they weren’t proud of me. They were. But, classical music isn’t something that is really important to either of them. I can understand that and have a difficult time swallowing it.

3) Why should one really pursue a career as a professional musician?

To me, there is only one right answer to this question: One becomes a musician because there is nothing else on the planet that feeds their soul in the same manner. People will always question their own thoughts and motivations. It is important to know that the path of an aspiring orchestral musician is full of twists, turns, rocks, hills, slippery slopes, and anything else you can think of. If you are pursuing a career to become wealthy, you will become a rich tuba player, but not a musician. There are people who are true musicians that have achieved a certain amount of wealth that is to be sure. But, you can bet your aunt Ina’s hand-churned milk that they paid their dues to get where they are at. With rare exception does one walk right into a job that pays very well without first spending a fair amount of time in the trenches.

4) What is the most important role that we will play/service we will provide?

I feel that our most important role (as perceived by the public) is entertainment. I think our most important role should be education. We bring smiles to the audience. We make them cry. We are responsible, for two hours, to give them a ride, which takes them through a gamut of emotions. We are a movie without pictures for many of the people in the seats. As important as this aspect of the job is, the survival of the beast DEPENDS on education being the priority. That means more in-school concerts. One thing we are working on implementing is all the principals are required to donate one hour per week to a local conservatory student in the form of a private lesson; totally free to both the student and the school. This kind of thing is very important to the propagation of our chosen art form.

5) Why should the public-at-large care if an orchestra is alive or if it goes under?

Again, I think the answer to this question should be because they love music and care about their city’s orchestra(s). Well, really, I think that unless the public has a specific interest in a given orchestra (family/friend plays in it, they love music or are a donor) then they really don’t care. I was waiting for a plane to Beijing two days ago and ran into a group of older folks from Houston. After talking for a while and telling them what I did, I asked them what they thought about the situation of the HSO. They said they had no clue they had even gone on strike. Here I thought everybody knew…

It is our jobs to promote our art. However little or much we are paid, we need to realize that we are doing what we do because we, hopefully, love performing music. I know love doesn't pay the motgage or put pablum in the baby's mouth. But, in order for us to continue doing what we love, some sacrifices may be necessary. In an economy that is anything but booming, everyone is tightening the belts. It's only a matter of time before it gets to us.

By the way, for those of you who love bashing the union, work overseas in a country where unions aren't allowed and your can is owned by the government... The Union is not perfect by any means, we all know that. But it is there for your protection.

Cordially,
Micky Wobleski

Follow Ups: