Re: Re: Diameter Sizes on Detachable King Bells

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on March 15, 2003 at 14:56:20:

In Reply to: Re: Diameter Sizes on Detachable King Bells posted by Matt G on March 15, 2003 at 14:28:31:

Did all the different sizes have original rolled bell rims?

My question is motivated by an older practice of saving partially wrecked bells by cutting them to a smaller diameter and then solder a new rim on them. (Really I believe, that the rims were soldered on first, after which the soldered rim was used as the guide for the cutting.

These rims were made out of a fairly heavy nickel silver sheet, 1 mm thick maybe (about .04"). Hand hammered to a profile best described as a circa 120 degrees cut of a circle perimeter. Of course much smaller, but still somewhat like the guards soldered to the backsides of my two old Conn sousaphones.

The story of this type of rim has been delivered to me by the late John Petersen and by Herbert "Horn" Petersen. Both educated by instrument makers and repairmen of 19th century Danish and German traditions.

The Danish term for this type of rim is Wiener rand. The German term would not differ by much more than a capitalisation of the R. An English translation would say Vienna rim.

Klaus

Follow Ups: