Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New 184 question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dp on March 15, 2003 at 00:47:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: New 184 question posted by SHS Tubamaster on March 14, 2003 at 21:47:11:

f.w.i.w.:

I think the "under-par" talk was fomented by a salesperson trying to drum up business.
Whether the actual overall condition of the line of Mirafone horns being built 20 years ago can be fairly characterized, and then compared with what is being built today is another matter. Pretty hard to make sweeping generalizations about thousands of instruments with what pretty much ANY poster to this BBS would have as a very small sample. Possibly the only person who could comment would be someone who play-tested every horn back in the 80's when they arrived, AND has continued to play test the new 'uns today, AND had the capacity to fairly judge them all. Such people DO exist as far as the capability, and years ago importers and distributors used to say "so-and-so" play tests every horn we sell. But NONE of those guys still do that work today, and none of them make regular posts here, so there goes the best chance at a really objective assessment.
What I do know from MY experience is the one I got was new in 83, and it was a great horn. Often wish I'd never been talked out of it! In fact I know a lot of folks who got new horns then who still have them and are "quite" happy with them.
Maybe sometimes we should consider a "philosophy of Tubenet postings", i.e. what is the underlying motivation of what was posted that you've just read? Or, to put it another way, "don't believe everything you read."

Dale

Follow Ups: