Re: Re: Different Question About CC vs. BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on March 10, 2003 at 11:21:46:

In Reply to: Re: Different Question About CC vs. BBb posted by Keith C. on March 10, 2003 at 10:25:22:

You wrote:
I stongly second the suggestion to find a good teacher who appreciates the older student. I did not do this originally, and regret it. I've just now started lessons with an accomplished pro who understands my expectations.
--------
I'd really like for you to expound on this; I have never been able to find a teacher, as an adult, on any instrument. I found their expectations to be in two categories: 1) practice 3 hours a day and improve at the rate of an 18 year old, and 2) I'm sure you don't really want to learn anything, so I won't do anything except encourage you. There was one exception to that with a local tuba teacher, but there was another problem I won't go into, that made me stop at one lesson.

I'm much more towards #1, but I have neither the 3 hours daily or the 18 year old body. My one hour after work done by a middle-aged body does not progress at the same speed as the college student, but I still have the same desire to learn the instrument correctly, and the ability to reach a reasonably high level because of my background. So how did you find a teacher, and what are your expectations?

M.A.

Follow Ups: