Re: Different Question About CC vs. BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Keith C. on March 10, 2003 at 10:25:22:

In Reply to: Different Question About CC vs. BBb posted by Jeff Hildebrand on March 09, 2003 at 17:45:15:

Its Monday morning and I've just read your post.

Like you, I returned to the "club" after a 25 hiatus. I got back to playing tuba in my late foirties and found that I had to learn to play all over again - fingerings, chops, breating, the whole nine yards.

I was lucky to find a used horn locally (Toronto) after only a few months of serching. My selection of a horn was based on availablity. I ended up with a Sonora 4v rotary BBb. Its a stencil horn, but its as much horn as I need. Play testing was not an issue with me. There were no other horns around to play test.

Anyhow, here's a few points to concider as you return to the palying field-

Check with repair shops if there have tubas for sale. I found mine at a repair shop where it was for sale on consignment.

Check the local musician organizations and faculties of music. My horn was being sold by a trombone player who no longer doubled on tuba.

Check out the local tuba teachers both for lessons and for possible horns for sale.

Check out the local community bands and orchestras for tuba players who may have horns for sale.

BBb vs CC? Not an issue in my case, but in hind site the BBb was a good choice. I play in both community bands and orchestras and I have not had any trouble (horn related at least) playing with a BBb horn. The only issue arises when I'm asked to double for the string bass. This can get hairy playing on BBb (damed sharps).

I stongly second the suggestion to find a good teacher who appreciates the older student. I did not do this originally, and regret it. I've just now started lessons with an accomplished pro who understands my expectations.

Finally, take the trip to one of the tuba meccas to play test as many used horns as you can. I didn't even know about Dillons when I was looking for a horn. I would certainly have taken the trip had I known. I might have the "perfect" horn had I taken the drive.

Welcome back and good luck

Follow Ups: