Re: A couple of euphonium questions.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Edens on March 09, 2003 at 16:22:39:

In Reply to: A couple of euphonium questions..... posted by Heather McDown on March 09, 2003 at 14:42:33:

Heather, I know where you are coming from. I am a high school senior and I am attending the University of Oregon in the fall. I am either going to double major in euphonium performance and music education or go through a five year teacher certification program that would give me a bachelor's in performance and a master's in education. (I am also planning on working during the summers on a bachelor's in theology at the Northwest Bible College, but that isn't relevant to your questions)

Right now, I don't have a paying performance gig, but I do teach private lessons on euphonium, tuba, trombone and guitar. I think that a realistic, accurate way of viewing my life immediatly after college is that it will be similar to what I have going right now. I will probably be earning my living by becoming a public school teacher (band, choir, general music, etc...) and by continuing to give private lessons. There just aren't that many euphonium performance jobs out there that aren't affiliated with the military, and I am ineligible (severe asthma) for military service.

Right now, I don't necessarily want to earn my living by playing euphonium. Mind you, I still want to reach a world class level of ability at some point, but teaching is how I plan to bring in the cash. If, somewhere down the line, I become more interested in a professional playing job, I will probably pursue an orchestral job either on tuba or trombone. (Even then it is a crap shoot due to the lack of available orchestral jobs)

As far as a choice of degrees are concerned, I think that it is wise to walk away from your undergrad years with AT LEAST an education degree, and an additional performance degree if desired. I have known and heard of too many wonderful players who have graduated from conservatories and expected to land a performance job and are still working minimum wage after years of attempts. You've got to have something to cover your bases. (It works out better for me than for some people, because my love of teaching is comparable to my love of performance, so a double major was a natural choice)

As far as schools are concerned, it isn't the school's name and reputation that matters as much as the teacher. I chose to attend the U of O over many schools with a more prestigious reputation primarily because I like working with Mike Grose and I think that I can improve greatly under his instruction. (UO is a great music school anyway, don't get me wrong) Also, by staying in my home state, I am maintaining the connections that I have built in the music world, which will more easily provide me with job opportunities when I finish school.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in pursuing the euphonium after high school. (Hiram, if you are reading this, that goes for you as well)
Feel free to email me for further discussion.

My two yen...

-John Edens

Follow Ups: