Re: Re: Re: Practicing tips

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on March 07, 2003 at 13:30:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Practicing tips posted by Alan on March 06, 2003 at 14:35:34:

Yes! If you have a teacher willing to give you 2 lessons per week, by all means TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT!! I'm currently getting two 1-and-a-half-hour lessons per week... one is spent on solo rep, etudes, technique, etc, and the other is spent strictly on orchestral excerpts and other such audition materials. At the end of the semester I play 2 juries- one a standard jury like anyone else plays, and the other a mock-audition for all the faculty(most of whom happen to sit on various symphony audition committees... DSSO, Chatauqua, Fargo-Moorehead, Minnesota Orchestra, and Winnipeg symphony). My jury rep lists the past few semesters have been taken directly from the coast guard band, Chicago Civic, and San Fran audition lists, among others.

If you think your jury critiques are rough from other brass instructors, wait until you see what the symphony's concertmaster has to say about your Hungarian March, or what the Organ Professor has to say about your Entrance into Valhalla!

fwiw

Anthony

Follow Ups: