Re: Re: Re: New Besson BE980 Eb Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on March 25, 2002 at 16:45:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: New Besson BE980 Eb Tuba posted by Tom Fox on March 25, 2002 at 14:10:18:

Basically I think, that Brit tubas never were intended to emulate anything from the European continent. Maybe but for their original Frenchs roots, and that was 15 decades ago.

The older Brit 15" Eb belled instruments could often be heard played very ugly sounding. And I am no fan of the 19" versions with the old narrow receiver and leadpipe either.

I will let my 982 fobia rest here. But I consider the 981 and the 983 as American instruments, when it comes to sound and feel. The 983 scaled down a bit too far for my taste, though. The 981 is a perfect match for my large US BBb's. The only differences are those to be expected from the distance of a fourth between them. I would liked that the BBb's were compensating as well, because that is very practical. But like I found the comp register less appealing on the smaller 983, than on the more generous 981, the 994 did not make my heart swell. And I have had no chance to try other BBb compers.

Last night I had the chance on classical night radio to hear Walter Hilgers launch some very fast and very cleanly articulated licks in a German Brass context. Probably on his Meinl-Weston 198 BBb. That does not put a German tuba on my wishlist, but I think, that we should be praise the diversity of instruments, that we after all still have.

Klaus

Follow Ups: