Re: Re: Re: gubmunt 'poser goes on tirade at concert

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on March 16, 2002 at 18:55:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: gubmunt 'poser goes on tirade at concert posted by Mark Wiseman on March 16, 2002 at 14:23:23:

That was careless of me to mispell John's last name. Yes the CSO paid the commission, but John's principal source of income is his U of W position, with which he has been indentifed over a period of considerable time. And you could further make the point that aside from his recognition as a composer, John's field is performance and the teaching of performance, not academic or theoretical studies. However my point was against broad generalities. And surely if he had been in the same position as the composer in Memphis, he would have handled the situation with courtesy and humor.

One of the most pointless and boring new works I have ever heard was played by the CSO at Carnegie this past Fall. I've forgotten the name of the composer or the piece, but I think she has some kind of residency with the CSO. It was written for a small group of players arrayed antiphonally. Barenboim introduced the work with a l-o-o-o-n-g and painfully detailed explanation. The piece meandered and wandered about for days it seemed. Couldn't wait for it to end. Audience response was indifference. After intermission - Act I Die Walkure. That's what we were there for. An hour of continuous music, over all too quickly. The point? The lady has a gig with the CSO, ostensibly private sector. Considering the primary sources of Wagner's career-long patronage, one could argue that Wagner was - dare I say it? - a government employee . . .

I trust this generalization isn't overdrawn.

Follow Ups: