Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Playing new CC at School

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 13, 2002 at 13:34:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Playing new CC at School posted by okay, but on March 13, 2002 at 00:26:36:

An edge in professional auditions? Really?

It seems to me that those so gifted as to be able to worry about auditions at age 18 can probably play any tuba in any key. I'd bet Roland Szentpali didn't spend any time at all learning CC after growing up on F. Like most highly gifted tuba players, the buttons you press don't seem to be a big deal. He hears the note and instinctively pushes the right buttons.

For those not so gifted, the hard work of learning the stuff takes what it takes. But I think you can learn most of what you need to know on any tuba. When you change horns, you press different buttons perhaps and deal with certain eccentricities, but those are technical issues. The audition committees will be looking for things you can learn on any tuba: musicianship, sound, blend, versatility, rhythmic and pitch accuracy, reading ability, and a pleasant and cooperative personality. The technical part of those issues is supportive, not dominating.

It seems to me that if it takes you the whole four years of undergraduate school to learn F tuba such that one who has an F in high school would have an edge at graduation, then you'll have other troubles at auditions not related to your equipment.

Rick "who thinks audition winners start where most others leave off" Denney

Follow Ups: