Re: ignorant about fiberglass techniques

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Solms on March 05, 2002 at 13:41:48:

In Reply to: ignorant about fiberglass techniques posted by js on March 05, 2002 at 09:29:02:

Joe- A good source of information is the web site for the WEST System epoxy products. The link, in case it doesn't come through below, is www.westsystem.com. The book they publish and sell, "Fiberglass Boat Repair and Maintenance", is one of the best guides I have encountered on the subject.

A couple points: Papier mache will soak up resin like no one's business, leaving you with a heck of a mess (not to mention a couple hours work with a chain saw just to get the pieces small enough to fit in a dumpster). Polyethelyne sheeting will work as a barrier, and will not stick to the resin. The hard part is getting it to lie flat against your mold. Most commercial construction of the type you are considering is done with vacuum bags that hold everything close together and expel excess resin.

Fiberglass work is a skill, just like soldering or buffing. I would advise you to experiment with some smaller projects first to get a feel for the material and the process. With something the size of a tuba case, time will be your biggest foe. The resin has limited work time. Unless you have developed a bit of skill, you will be hard-pressed to lay up something that size in the work time you will have available. Unlike soldering, you can't just heat it up and try again.

Finally, I will give you the number one secret to working with fiberglass- cold showers! A hot shower opens up your pores and allows all the tiny fibers to sink into your skin, where they will spend several extremely itchy days working their way back to the surface. Also, wear a respirator! The tiny fibers that end up camped out in your lungs are there for the duration.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to send me an email.

Good luck,
Mike Solms

Follow Ups: