Re: Selling that tuba, why...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jeff Baker on March 30, 2001 at 01:59:15:

In Reply to: Selling that tuba, why... posted by Josh Norris on March 29, 2001 at 20:22:40:

You're in an interesting predicament. I too am a college student, 21 years old and switched to music from engineering. I too had no troubles playing the tuba and never practiced. I loved music though, I loved playing and listening, but not practicing. I also have an analytical mind and am totally enthralled in computers. I took comp. sci. classes, and was a bit of a computer nerd in high school, spending my free time doing mischevious things with the computer, eventually getting caught (another story). I thought about doing music when I went to college but said, "I don't want to be a band director..." and "I could make a boat-load more money as an engineer..." I hated my classes however and missed music, so I did a gut check and realized that money isn't everything. You don't want to go back later and do this again. I know it sucks not having any money...I'm working 3 jobs to pay my bills and my tuba payment(S). If you really don't want to do music then don't but if you don't like being poor, or don't like having to work a little harder, then that's a cop out and you know it. Go with what makes you happy and realize that regardless of what you do there's going to be crap classes along the way. College is an interesting time for us all and it's hard to decide your future at 18. Good luck in whatever you do, and trust me when I say you really only get one shot at this, so do what you want but do it wholeheartedly.

Follow Ups: