Re: FED UP!!!/Did I piss away my money?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 26, 2001 at 16:55:26:

In Reply to: FED UP!!!/Did I piss away my money? posted by griping on March 26, 2001 at 10:34:26:

You should not interpret negatively any lack of response to your offer to host a regional get-together. Maybe there are too few readers of this forum close enough to you.

I've thought about having a get-together here in the DC area, but frankly I cannot undertake such an role in my current situation. But I'd love to attend one.

It may also be that those of us attracted to this quiet form of communication are not really that social in the flesh-and-blood sense. It may take a bit more effort to get the work out about such get-togethers, like sending notes to friends in neighboring community bands and so on. And I think you need a hook. It could be a massed ensemble, or a performance by the local pro, or a clinic by the local pedagog, or a display by the local tuba store or collector.

I don't think it's necessary for an organization to have zero dues. I'm a member of professional societies that cost 10 times what ITEA costs. But if you are going to attract hobbyists to the activities, they have to be close to home, cost-effective, and respectful of their non-professional status.

My suggestion would be to think on it for about a year. Think about what it would take to have a party of local tuba players, and then schmooze the attendees of the TubaChristmas even in your area, among any other available avenue to get the word out. Do it on a Saturday, provide the hook, and let everyone either bring pot-luck or toss money in a kitty to pay the pizza-man.

Remember, if being willing to organize is the minimum qualification for participation, then only the organizers will participate.

Rick "who needs to let others organize this sort of stuff" Denney

Follow Ups: