Re: Re: F Tuba mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Curious on March 25, 2001 at 13:02:55:

In Reply to: Re: F Tuba mouthpieces posted by Joe S. on March 25, 2001 at 00:17:27:

I'm curious what you or anyone else thinks the function of the backbore is. My own empirical evidence agrees with your suggestions. I play on a PT-15 with a PT-65. I've not done much experimenting outside of this set-up but I have come to notice that the backbore of the 65 is very tight and have developed a theory regarding why this might be advantageous on this horn.

Theory:
On extremely open backbore allows a player to blow down into pitch much more easily, especially on already very open horns. This works out very well on horns that are already very well in tune. However, on horns that aren't quite so in tune with themselves a tight backbore may be of benefit. While it may be slightly more difficult to blow down to pitch it will also be notably easier to blow otherwise out of tune partials in tune with very little effort.

I have moments where my tendency is to blow everything sharp but when I relax and let the horn do the work everything locks exactly into place intonation and sound wise. The sagging 5th floats up and the high 3rd partials falls down. I can't help but think that there might be something to that.

Am I onto something or just deluding myself? Would it be a waste of money and effort to find a 65esque mouthpiece with a larger backbore?

thanks,
genuinely curious

Follow Ups: