Been 21 Years - HELP! I'm Brain Dead

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Kinsel on March 24, 2001 at 15:36:56:

I am a former tuba player who wants to get back in. I started playing in high school in 1974. In 1976 I was accepted as a tuba major at a local university but went into engineering instead. I had played in various university wind and brass ensembles and professionally as a free-lance from 1976 until 1980. BUT NOTHING SINCE THEN.

I have convinced my wife that instead of getting a Mazda Miata to quell my mid-life crisis urges, I would settle on a tuba or a Rolex. She voted for the tuba. (She says we can display it next to our grand piano in the living room...both of us play piano. I want to play it, not display it!)

Anyway, I'm looking for any advice for a returning tubist. Here is some information that may be helpful followed by some questions. Any help is welcome.

- I remember playing a German (Kroner?) 4-valve BBb rotary in college that I really liked.
- Have Bach 24AW and Bach 22 mouthpieces that are tarnished, but otherwise in great shape. I remember that I liked the 24AW but can't remember why.
- I remember all the fingerings for a BBb. (Didn't kill those brain cells!)
- I plan to play mostly for myself right now, but have an offer from the conductor of a local amateur symphony to play with them if I get back in shape. I would also like to play in the pit orchestra for a local community theater. (I've done keyboard work for them before.)

Questions:
- Should I be looking for a 4/4 BBb or something else?
- Any recommendations on brands? I'm looking to spend less than $4000 for a BBb rotary.
- Am I totally foolish? Should I give up this flight of fancy and get the Rolex instead?

If I've gone on too long, I apologize. I found this BBS about five months ago and it took me that long to get the courage up to post this. I love all the info on Tubenet - Thanks for getting me excited about being a tubist again!

Follow Ups: