Re: Is everything ultimately stuffy?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Henry on March 13, 2001 at 14:27:29:

In Reply to: Is everything ultimately stuffy? posted by Anon on March 13, 2001 at 11:35:27:

Hey man,
I currently play on a B&S PT4P and a Yamaha YEB 321. I find that the low register on my Eb tuba is fairly stuffy but I am in the process of working around it. I have not found the low register of my PT4P to be stuffy as compared to some horns I have played. If you think your horn is stuffy try a small Conn or King in the low register. Also, I have noticed that the rotary valves pla stuffier for me. I think it has to do with the approach to the low register. I played on a PT6 rotary and the low register seemed stuffy at first. Once I relaxed my air flow, the low register opened up. I would suggest trying to play with warm air in the low register and just realize that ever horn has some stuffiness. Also, the newer PT horns have a larger fourth and fifth valve than some of the older models. It may just be that you are pushing too hard and overblowing the abilities of the horn in the low register.
I have one more opinion which I don't know if any one will like. I always use my real name and email address when I post here. I do this so people will know me and have the chance to talk to me about anything that I post here. Also I like to get to know the regular posters of this board. I feel that I know some things about the more common posters. I also tend to read their responses and questions first. I also tend to respond to posters that I have come to know on this board. So, I think something like this would be a valuable place to become more known in the tuba community. These are my feelings upon anonomous postings and why I don't post anonomously.
I hope you find an agreable way around the stuffiness of your horns, and keep on practicing.

Henry Gertcher

Follow Ups: