Re: Re: Re: Bruckner 7 from CSO (AT) Carnergie Hall

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on March 09, 2001 at 23:55:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Bruckner 7 from CSO (AT) Carnergie Hall posted by Alex on March 09, 2001 at 16:24:42:

I went tonight. I actually hired a sub to cover a rehearsal in order to attend the only CSO concert with Herseth playing in this carnegie series I could have attended without giving up the entire concert series I am playing this weekend. Herseth's retirement is official, and these are his last appearances with the CSO at Carnegie Hall. Tonight it was Rite of Spring. Bud held forth on the piccolo trumpet. 79 years old. Historically unprecedented. You had to be there. The crowd went wild at the end, and they played two encores, Sibelius Valse Triste and Glinka Russlan and Ludmilla. The orchestra (no surprise) played great, and Gene brought Jerome (last name? someone) from Chicago as 2nd. They also brought an arsenal of four tubas on the stage, in order to gain clarity and security in certain passages. One of them was THE York of course. They were fine, but for me, it was Bud one last time, unless he plays through Ravinia, and I get out there.

Tomorrow (Saturday) it's Mahler 7th. Can't make it. But the place WILL be packed.

Follow Ups: