Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Old Eastman Wind Ensemble Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jEFFIE the elephant on March 04, 2001 at 13:05:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Old Eastman Wind Ensemble Question posted by semi-insider on March 04, 2001 at 12:49:46:

OK sir,
I don't know where you get your info, but I am a student at eastman (undergrad) currently. The grad students do not conduct Wind Ensemble, they conduct the WInd Orchestra (the lower wind ensemble)
#2 I love the serenades, in fact, i am conducting the dvorak serenade in d minor later in the semester, but the fact is that there are chamber groups comprised of students that can play these serenades, and there is a CHAMBER ORCHESTRA that is an official ensemble that can play these as well. They really shouldn't be played too often with the wind enselbe because they are so limiting on personell.
#3 I can't vouch for anything about fennell, he hasn't conducted anything here and I have never been conducted by him. However, only up until recent years donald hunsberger has done so much for the advancement of the wind ensemble. I was conducted by him at the beginning of the year and he is a very fine conductor, and on a personal note, I hate Fred Fennell's interpretations of wind band music. Everything is clipped short (military style), loud, and way too fast. (NOTE this is MY OPINION!) I have a recording of some english bands playing these pieces and although the players are less skilled, the interpretation is so much more beautiful and the music become thick and full, not just BAND MUSIC. (i like hunsberger's interpretations far better than fennell's)
Hunsberger even used to rehearse the ensemble for fennell and then he would come in and conduct it. So anyway, ge the facts straight sir before you post anything an claim you are an insider...all I have noticed is the abundance of the words "i heard" in your statement.
jEFFIE the elephant

Follow Ups: