Re: The Yorks-Jake -Joe Novotny

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Sturgeon on March 03, 2001 at 12:35:21:

In Reply to: The Yorks-Jake -Joe Novotny posted by Dr Ray on March 01, 2001 at 19:53:51:

Here's something interesting. A fellow former student (who will remain secret)of Chester Schmitz told me this story. He was looking for a larger horn to produce a certain sound he had in mind. He was playing a Kalison 2000 at the time and also had a large 6/4 tuba he was trying out at the time. They were in Boston Symphony Hall and Chester told him to go out into the middle of the hall and turn around so he couldn't see which tuba he was playing. Chester picked up his Kalison and played. When he was done, the student replied, "that's the sound I am looking for!"
After reading Dr. Ray's post, I think this example gives it at least one resounding confirmation that the player is the greatest portion of the final product. This is not to say that a player should stop searching for the best matching instrument for him, but should at least exhaust all possibilities with his present one in hand. I am guilty of horn jumping myself before really giving my current horn a thorough run. The temptation is still there and the "grass always looks greener," but I hope now I can at least look as deep as possible to come up with some solid reasons before going for that BAT.

FWIW,

Ken Sturgeon

Follow Ups: