The Yorks-Jake -Joe Novotny

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dr Ray on March 01, 2001 at 19:53:51:

let me start by saying Arnold Jacobs was a very nice man. He was also a great tuba player.
But,he was not the 2nd comming. He was not siglularly responsable for the way the instrument is played today and I think he would have agreed.I had the privalage of sitting with him and speaking to him many times, mostly about things other than tubas.I have played both yorks. They are both fine instruments. They are not the holy grail . They worked very well for Jake especially in his later years with his dimninished lung capacity. Can we start to get past them as the one and only orchestrial instrument??
You dont need one to play in a orchestraand many of you probably wouldent like them if you didn't know what they were.

There are other great players that dont seem to get credit for their work . Joe Novotny played in the NY PHiharmonic and the Met.He may have been the best orchestrial player ever.
He never went off about the fame or over equipment. and his greatest advice on both tubas and mouthpieces( this one is for all those PT MW HB B&S RM YORK MIRAPHONE BBb vs CC guys) BUY A MOUTHPIECE USE IT. BUY A TUBA LEARN TO PLAY IT.

Dr "now you can beat me to death" Ray

Follow Ups: