Re: Dating a Conn 2-J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard Murrow on March 06, 2000 at 07:04:49:

In Reply to: Dating a Conn 2-J posted by Bryan on March 06, 2000 at 01:21:22:

I once owned a Conn 2-J which was supposed to have been built in 1958. I was given this information by a reputable repairman who consulted his Allied manual containing serial #'s and dates. I was and still am certain that that could not have been possible, since I don't think the 2-J's were made until the very late 60's or early 70's. However, Conn at that time was building instruments in Abilene, Texas at what was once the old Reynolds/Olds factory. The valves in the 2-J you are talking about are the same valves that were used in the very large old Reynolds Contempora tubas. I suspect that at the time the 2-J's were being built that Conn was simply using some of the old Reynolds parts (valves & casings). These parts, to take my theory one step farther, may well have already had ser. #'s stamped on them by the Reynolds Co. before leaving the Abilene facility, causing the confusion in dates, as Conn and Reynolds serial #'s would be different. This is also why you do not see Elkhart on the bell under the Conn name, later they actually put Conn/Abilene on some of the horns. The 2-J's were OK small CC tubas, but were really more of a Reynolds than a Conn. The 3-J which came out in the mid/late 70's was built and designed much more like Conns from earlier years. Valves, Bell flair, etc were all different than the 2-J. Conn is no longer building horns in Abilene and you will not experience these problems with their newer products. I hope this helps.

Follow Ups: