Re: UNT

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles D. Ortega on March 18, 1999 at 14:57:13:

In Reply to: UNT posted by Tim on March 17, 1999 at 15:57:49:

I attended UNT for years. It is a great place for many different reasons. Firtst off, Don is a great teacher. I have learned a great deal from him.
Next, yes, the Wind Symphony is great, too. I was in there for a couple of years, and I was very happy with my time there. We recorded quite a few CD's and one was nominated for a grammy!
UNT is one of the few schools that has undeniable excellence in three principle areas. Wind Symphony, Jazz, and private instruction. The problem is, you really can't MAJOR in Jazz Studies and be only a tuba player. Some of the requirements for the Jazz Studies degree don't lend themselves to Tuba. Especially since there is no real Jazz Improv teacher for Tuba. You have to be in a Lab band there to get the Jazz Studies degree, and while there are some tubas who have gotten in, they are not many. So, your other choices are to play Euphonium, Bass, or Bass Bone. These are viable options. One could argue that you should learn these instruments anyway. Since I didn't get a Jazz Studies degree, I really can't tell you.
One thing to do is to call the Main Music Office. Ask to speak to the Jazz Studies office, and maybe you could ask to speak to Don.
The number is (940) 565-2791 .
Good luck. And don't be fooled by the people who tell you that at UNT you are just a number because the music school is so big. It isn't true. If you play your horn, and do it well, then you will get noticed.
As far as the large number of students taken on by Corporon, that is true, but the quality of instruction never suffers. Stick time might...but you didn't hear that from me....

cdo

Follow Ups: