Re: Preparing new works

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on June 23, 2003 at 13:55:13:

In Reply to: Preparing new works posted by Tony Z. on June 23, 2003 at 11:58:15:

Oddly enough, you have stated part of your answer. You do get to lean on the knowledge of others in your trek.

Not that I have been recorded premeiring solos that have sold to the masses, but I have been lucky enough to record bandwise for a few premiers. I would tell you that you are in 2 worlds at the same time.

1. The world of being the first one to set precidence in the mentioned solo work. Your sound and interpretation may be known as the accepted norm of this work for quite a while. As such, you will have the opportunity to perform what the composer desires as close as possible without being the composer.

2. You are in the world of having to figure out what the composer desires. as you have premiered a solo, you are aware of what I speak when I say that the composer will have an idea in their mind of what they want.

As far as history is concerned, I would say that there is history behind most solos. Many composers will write a solo, but the basis in style usually has some historic precedence. Even unaccompanied serialistic or electronic musique has some structural history, even if it seems out of this world when you first play it.

If none of these thoughts cover what you look at in preparation, then have fun being a trendsetter.

Tom (gearing up for a week of non-serialistic ANNIE, I hope) Mason

Follow Ups: