Re: Re: Is it me?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 20, 2003 at 11:35:19:

In Reply to: Re: Is it me? posted by Scott Norberg on June 20, 2003 at 11:16:21:

When I close my eyes and listen to someone play, I can tell the difference instantly between even a small F tuba and a large euphonium. When I play my euphonium with a tuba mouthpiece, it sounds like a tuba--a small and stuffy tuba to be sure but a tuba. I might want euphoniumists to have a brighter, more cheerful sound (like the high sounds on the Gerhard Meinl Tuba Sextet CD), but it seems to me that it still sounds like a euphonium. That's why I have such trouble with the notion of an F tuba sounding like a euphonium, and vice versa. They always sounded markedly different to me, on both sides of a clear line (though maybe by not too far a distance).

The Catelinet recording didn't sound like a tuba. It sounded like a euphonium with too large a mouthpiece, being played too low by too weak a player. Sorta like I would sound, heh, heh.

Fletcher's sound had more brilliance than did Lind's round tone, but they both sounded instantly like tubas. I've never heard any euphonium player sound like either one.

Rick "not a connoisseur of euphonium sound" Denney

Follow Ups: