Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Navy Band Results?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on June 11, 2003 at 11:59:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Navy Band Results? posted by Dave Zerkel on June 11, 2003 at 07:26:41:

Dave,
I feel your pain, but will take this opportunity to laud the Army's Macom bands. The wide variety of playing opportunities offered by these bands should make them as appealing as a premier band. There were only two minuses that I think would turn people off 1. You are never gauranteed that you will stay there for more than an enlistment and 2. You have to do a certain amount of real Army stuff. I was always amazed by the quality of musician I served with. The concerts by the bay at Fort Monroe will always be a high point in my Army memory as will the tours with the Atlanta band. I accept the prestige that comes with assignments in Washington, they are the creme-de-la-creme, but playing ALOT of different stuff has it's benefits. No sour grapes here, I auditioned for every premier band at some point in my first enlistment and just wasn't good enough to get in. Even in the 80's the quality of player auditioning in Washington was astounding. I am simply glad I was able to play my horn day in and day out for 11 years and get paid for it. Now, that year of my life I traded away in Korea to stay in the Macom system is another story, but my shrink tells me the shaking and drooling should stop with the next electroshock treatment.

SSG Jackson
Memeber of Uncle Sams Happy Camping Club
1985-1996

Follow Ups: