Re: Re: The perfect practice room

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 27, 2002 at 09:13:16:

In Reply to: Re: The perfect practice room posted by Joe on June 26, 2002 at 23:24:40:

Don't be too sure that the sound you hear is just like what comes out of your bell. Much of what you hear is vibrating right through your head. In my case, it picks up quite an echo in the process. The only time I really hear my sound is during that brief bit of reverberation after I stop blowing. Without that reverberation, I have to depend much more on feel.

More importantly, the sound that works at the bell may not out front. This has been pointed out in a number of forums, including on Gene Pokorny's excerpts CD. My first teacher also said the same thing. His sound was almost strident up close (especially playing his Alex), but out in the hall it was sweet and warm. If I'm recalling his comments correctly, he suggested that a sound that had character out in the hall, and that could be heard even at piano on the back row, might not be particularly beautiful up close. I've heard this from other instrumentalists, too, particularly from a pro-level oboist.

Rick "who unfortunately cannot demonstrate this teaching" Denney

Follow Ups: