Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Persichetti Serenede No. 12

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 26, 2002 at 14:57:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Persichetti Serenede No. 12 posted by Jim Andrada on June 26, 2002 at 14:27:03:

I'm so envious I'm about ready to puke. No blade of grass in early spring showed more green than I'm showing right now.

The price you were offered for a signed 11x14 is right at what the Special Edition prints cost now. Those are the same as the prints made by his assistants in those days. In fact, I believe that Bob Ross is still making the SE prints--he was one of his assistants but possibly not as early as 1970. Even those are revelatory when you compare them with the offset-print reproductions in books.

John Sexton was another of his assistants around that time. I passed up the chance to buy one of his signed prints a few years ago and I've been kicking myself ever since.

I bought a Special Edition print last time I was at Yosemite, and there are a few more I'd like to get. And I bought a large print from Tom Till on my last trip to Utah. Maybe someday he will be as famous, but I doubt it. The last signed Adams print that I saw (in Carmel) that was for sale was $18,000, and a Brett Weston was $12,000.

But the real envy is that you took one of his courses. That's like attending a week-long master class with Arnold Jacobs and a dozen or so of your closest buddies, and having Harvey Phillips show up for a day just to add his thoughts.

Photography, like music, is a participant sport, and every time I think I'd like to make a big investment in someone else's work, I see another camera lens or tuba that I'd like to own.

Rick "more talented as a photographer than as a tubist" Denney

Follow Ups: