Re: Teaching woes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ike H. on June 19, 2002 at 10:26:23:

In Reply to: Teaching woes posted by Annoyed on June 18, 2002 at 22:13:11:

Stay on a more positive approach and praise her when things are going well, and yes, 50 % is not a bad track record on the whole when dealing with most students that I've seen. When things are getting bogged down, do a reality check and appraise her overall achievements from point A to point B, and from that perpective encourage her to keep moving in that direction. Unless you're one of the top soloists/teachers with a limited teaching schedule, I wouldn't "fire" anyone with this sort of record of progress. On the whole, it's pretty above-average. I've had quite a few that will stagnate for a while, then something clicks in and things start moving in a better light. If you are dealing with lessons on a grading standpoint, it doesn't hurt to remind them occasionally of that fact and you might say something like "That was a B(or whatever) lesson, and I know you can do better", and consider the grading on a lesson-by-lesson basis.

It helps to get to know the kids in a more personal level rather than do the instructing on purely a dry teacher - student relationship. It gets them more relaxed and comfortable, and both of you will have more fun in the long run. And it will be a longer run.

Follow Ups: