Re: Re: flying

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ian Easton on June 11, 2002 at 08:10:55:

In Reply to: Re: flying posted by Aubrey Foard on June 10, 2002 at 14:43:22:

Or...do let them know you're coming in advance; speak to a manager (or someone in a position to bend the rules; often check-in clerks don't feel they're able to) and ask for an excess baggage waiver.

I caught 6 flights to get from ITEC '97 (Riva in Italy) to Western Australia. My travel agent procured me a letter from the airlines to the effect: "please allow the bearer of this letter to travel with excess baggage...". Educational purposes, valued customer etc etc etc.

Worked for me.

Oh, and they've all heard the "last time I flew you didn't charge" and "I've flown OTHER airlines and not been charged" lines before. I've never liked the give 'em a hard time until they've had enough attitude. Some people get what they want by bullying; I prefer polite insistance. I agree that you have to play it cool and not ask "are you going to charge me".

When our Jazz band travelled to the Sacramento festival I remember reaching a deal with the airline duty manager (using a great deal of diplomancy!): we lined up all our gear, pooled our weight and then divided it by the number of band members. We were still over, so asked other passengers if we could have their 'unused' weight. It took a while, but saved us a great deal of money. I figure the airline was just making sure the plane wasn't too heavy to get off the ground.

Ian Easton

Follow Ups: