Conn F tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on June 07, 2002 at 08:38:14:

I was kinda waiting to see some more posts on horns from ITEC, and specifically this horn. But since those don't seem to be happening, I'll ask. What did those of you who played the prototype think?

I really liked this horn. It was very playable in all registers, and the low register was particularly friendly. I may be biased, since it looks like someone threw my 56J in the dryer, but the sound was what really piqued my interest. Obviously, the horn doesn't have a German rotary F sound, but it also doesn't sound like an immasculated CC tuba. The only F that I thought was more easily playable in every register was the Yamaha 822. But in terms of sound, I thought that the Conn had infinitely more character. It definitely seemed to have its own voice. The only downside were some intonation quirks that I assume will be addressed in the further development of this model. Can't wait 'til this comes out in production. UMI guy said late this year, but that may be optimistic.

For those of you that didn't see it, it has a 5j bell, a cut-down 52/54/56J valve body (.689), and I can't remember where the branches came from. It very closely resembles a very small 52j.

Thoughts? Polite disagreements?

SD

Follow Ups: