Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BBb piston tubas at ITEC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken on June 04, 2002 at 18:41:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BBb piston tubas at ITEC posted by Rick Denney on June 04, 2002 at 17:52:12:

One reason Jake liked the 4/4 in 6/4 out "aspect" of the big York was that with a not overly large lung capacity, especially as he went past the 50yr mark, the efficiency of the York as a megaphone amplifying the input was very desireable as the "Chicago" sound was to a fair degree built around what he contributed. He mused one time that if he had had the lungs of Roger Bobo (near 7L as I recall) he could really blow up a storm!!! This was also a reason why Roger could use the small mirafones and get such a good, big sound. I don't know what capacity Chester had, but would say it was bigger than Jakes.

On the equipment side of things, YES he did believe that a player should have the best, and most appropriate, equipment he (she) could obtain. Back in the 60's, and earlier, there simply was not the range of instruments such as is available now. The big Conn's were about the only American 6/4 on the market and only as BBb. Compared to Jakes York, or my King, they were like absolute tubs to play (my opinion with which Jake agreed). WHen I would ask Jake to help me find a CC to play he would say, "no, stick with your King BBb and get an F to use when you want a smaller horn. This within the context of modeling my large ensemble playing on the sound Jake produced.

In short.......... YES, seek out the instrument which best helps you produce the sound you want and which makes you feel comfortable making music. What suits one may not suit another. Oh what fun it would be to be turned lose in a place with all the tubas now on the market available to try!!!!!!! (Not likely in a spot where you have to get Brian F to e-mail you a Ginos pizza or some Sliders!)

Follow Ups: