Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BBb piston tubas at ITEC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 04, 2002 at 17:52:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BBb piston tubas at ITEC posted by Ken Herrick on June 04, 2002 at 17:35:13:

That Mr. Schmitz made one of the comments I attributed to Arnold Jacobs just reinforces my point.

If the recorded and old-man performances of Arnold Jacobs that I have heard represent diminishment of his potential, then my respect for him grows even more. Certainly he believed and stated frequently that a tuba is just a hunk of brass incapable of making music by itself. But it is just as certain that he used instruments that he perceived enhanced his strengths and hid his weaknesses--what other motivation could lie behind the statment "6/4 out with 4/4 in"? Whether we admit that we like a horn because it made what was previously impossible possible, it is still an underlying factor. The things that we choose to worry about when they are impossible, and that bring us the most satisfaction when they become possible, are certainly different for different players, and may be incorrectly perceived by most players. But that's another discussion.

Rick "who is happy with a tuba that helps him get the right notes" Denney

Follow Ups: