Re: Re: Big Cerveny at Taylor's Music...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham Smith on June 21, 2001 at 14:12:45:

In Reply to: Re: Big Cerveny at Taylor's Music... posted by Greg Crider on June 21, 2001 at 13:54:31:

Greg, their listing says it's a BBb.
I didn't put up all the pics, since I just signed up for that Yahoo webpage and it only would let me upload one photo. Looks like a nice horn, from what I could see, with some very minor dents on the bottom bow.
Assuming it's a BBb (which I certainly will verify) My concern, I guess, is the one that Joe just listed, which is whether my 13 year old, if he makes the decision to take up tuba as another instrument, could fill the horn enough to produce a decent sound without hyperventilating in the process and getting discouraged. He's a big kid, 5'9", and he puts a lot of air down into a bari sax, but this is a huge horn. The band director who'd like to explore his moving to tuba is talking 4/4, but I've never asked him about larger horns. I just heard last week about his interest in getting my son to consider the tuba. The school horn is a 4/4 Yamaha of some kind, I think, but it hasn't come in yet so I haven't seen it. It might be good to ask the director his thoughts on a 5/4, I suppose.
Thanks for the thoughts!

Follow Ups: