Re: Old King tuba repairability

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on June 05, 2001 at 09:34:46:

In Reply to: Old King tuba repairability posted by Philip Jensen on June 05, 2001 at 08:14:24:

Plan to spend as much if not more than a new good BBb to get this horn into like new condition. However, this is a unique instrument, as I haven't seen too many Kings that look like this, especially in four valves. If I was in your shoes with between $3-5K to burn I would go for it. OR, you could call one of the repair/custom guys out there that may be able to salvage parts of this horn and convert it into whatever you want. The Bell and branches look like they would turn into a very "American" sounding BBb or CC. This route is definately going to cost more money, but you can kinda' custom design your own tuba. Seeing as how you have pictures available online, I would email them to someone like Matt Walters directly and ask him for not only an estimate, but ask if he would have info insight or ideas of what he may do with this instrument. Unfortunately, I don't think that this will be a "bargain" find for you as opposed to a good used or even new BBb. Now that I think of it, the "new" King BBb would probably be very similar in sound and playability to this instrument. The branches and bell are very similar on the new King to this vintage King. My recommendation: buy the new King BBb and keep this one for when you have the money to throw into this as a project horn.
Matt G

Follow Ups: