Re: Re: Re: Re: Alexander F Tuba For Sale!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jobey on June 24, 2000 at 00:15:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Alexander F Tuba For Sale!! posted by Anon E Mous Tuba on June 23, 2000 at 23:07:24:

To be honest, I have never liked the sound of Hirsbrunners and will probably never ever buy one. As far as I know, Mark Moore's biggest playing opp's were with his brass quintet..."Sonus", I think. The low register of piston valve F's are easier to deal with than German rotor F's. If quintet is your biggest thing, you don't need a horn that produces a big German sound...you need one that is extremely versatile in all registers, including the extreme lows. Now, if you are an orchestral player, don't you want that big beautiful sound? That's why people like myself (I play an Alex CC, too) deal with the little quirks of old Alexanders. I truly believe that no tuba makes a more BEAUTIFUL SOUND than the vintage Alexanders. Why do most of today's instrument makers base their ideas on the Alexander tubas? Perantoni himself told me this about his own line of tubas. A PT-6 is a modified Alexander CC. The PT-10 and 15 are modified Alexander F's. But neither have the sound of the originals!!

I bet this will spark a hell of a discussion...Bring it on!!!

-Jobey

Follow Ups: