Sousaphone - need help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Teeter on June 11, 1999 at 10:18:01:

I am part of a team working on a major new permanent exhibit scheduled to open next January at the Louisiana State Museum here in New Orleans. It will be on all aspects of Louisiana's Carnival and Mardi Gras traditions, and it promises to be spectacular.

One of my assignments is to find a sousaphone of the type used by high school bands in Carnival parades, to be exhibited on a costumed mannikin. By "the type used" I mean an inexpensive fiberglass instrument, and if it's a bit worn that only makes it more authentic. I have a vendor who can sell me one at a reasonable price, but the museum director has instructed me to do everything I can to find someone who will donate one before spending any money.

So one of the things I'm doing is posting to this BBS. Before anyone reminds me, yes I know tubas and sousaphones are not equivalent, and this BBS is mostly about tubas, but I'm hoping it's worth asking. If you have an old sousaphone lying around you would be willing to donate we would be enormously grateful. You would also get a tax deduction for the gift, although you would have to get your own appraisal. And you would be permanently identified as the donor of a very prominent object in the exhibit, which will be a major cultural attraction right on Jackson Square, the heart of the French Quarter in New Orleans.

I hope you can help. If you have any questions or comments (or leads!) feel free to call me at the toll-free number given below. Do check out our website to learn more about our museum, and if you're visiting New Orleans I hope you'll come and see us. Thank you for your attention.

Steve Teeter, Jazz Curator
Louisiana State Museum
(800)568-6968

Follow Ups: