Re: Re: Largest Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on June 09, 1999 at 01:48:33:

In Reply to: Re: Largest Tuba posted by james on June 08, 1999 at 20:30:38:

Let's see if we can break this down a little more clearly.

The 'original' in this category is the famous CSO York that Arnold Jacobs played. The Nirschl is as close to a copy of the York tuba as we are ever likely to see. Hirsbrunner also has a copy of the original York but the design has been tweeked in order to improve intonation and such. Which copy is best is very debatable.. both are great. One of the tweeks that Hirsbrunner has made is that of a larger bore size. Depending upon your definition of size this could, I suppose, make the Hirsbrunner bigger. I think this is a very dubious assertion at best. I would assert that the larger taper in the last two thirds and consequent characteristic sound associated with 6/4 horns is what makes a horn 'bigger'. By this definition all three of these tubas are exactly the same size.

Next on the list is the PT-7 and VMI Mel Culburtson which are very very similar in design and I think.. pretty clearly the same size. The final horn in the 6/4 CC category is the Meinl Weston 6/4 tuba which based on my limited time with these three horns is pretty much the same size as the PT-7 and Culburtson. Atleast in a visual sense.. these three horns look to have very similar tapers.

Add to the confusion the fact that.. if I'm not totally mistaken.. all of these horns currently in production use bells made on the same mandrel by the same manufacturer and I think you will see that in all reality they are all pretty big and if your point is simply to play the biggest tuba out there.. any one will do. clear as mud?

enjoy life,
joseph :)

Follow Ups: