Re: Re: Duct Tape on Bell Wall

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 01, 2002 at 07:55:56:

In Reply to: Re: Duct Tape on Bell Wall posted by Jim G on August 01, 2002 at 00:31:11:

That's right, I did this to a Cerveny 601 CC tuba I used to own. The procedure did work on my horn which is made with a relatively thinner gauge of metal. I also seem to remember Sam Gnagey using a belt (I assume made of leather) wrapped around the bell on at least one of his instruments. Perhaps Sam will chime in here to confirm or deny this.

I personally feel this technique works well if you have an instrument that vibrates too much, thus not sending that signal energy (sound) into the audience. How you define "too much" is a personal matter entirely. I have never tried to use duct tape because of the damage you could do to the finish of your horn (as Lee stated) as well as the lack of aesthetic. If you're simply curious, I'd try the belt idea first. That would be easily reversible, leaving no damage to the horn, and might give you some idea of what you'd get out of the process. My opinion is that soldering brass rods (3/8" half round stock), as I did on my horn, is the way to go because I don't feel like something as light as a leather belt would have all that much effect. In any event, this is all about personal preference and I would encourage you to make sure whatever you do is reversible, just in case.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: