Re: Convincing a school to buy a CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pat on July 17, 2002 at 16:48:15:

In Reply to: Convincing a school to buy a CC posted by Thomas on July 17, 2002 at 13:15:06:

Not trying to give you a hard time, but what are your specific reasons for wanting CC horns? I have never heard a solid technical reason or inherent advantage for broadly preferring CC over BBb; it seems to have always been a given that CC's are somehow better. I'm asking because if there are any inherent advantages I would like to know them.

Lest I seem anti-CC, my first love is a CC tuba which I've played for years. It's a great horn and I love it. But a BBb would have been better. I do a lot of doubling on euphonium, flugelhorn and valve trombone and there's always fingering confusion with a switch after, um, several decades!!) - there's something about the one whole step difference which hits a confusion sweet spot, like Mountain Standard Time.

Don't get suckered by CC envy, or only real men play CC. There are reasons not to go with CC. Your BBb's may be poor equipment but you could have bad CC's too - and then have funny fingerings AND bad horns.

Good luck and keep playing, whatever you end up with!
-Pat

Follow Ups: