Re: Re: Yamaha Custom

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brandon Jones on July 15, 2002 at 20:25:48:

In Reply to: Re: Yamaha Custom posted by Scott F. on July 11, 2002 at 11:49:41:

Here's my input on the question. I used to play and swear by Willson 2900's. They are great horns. They are great intonation wise and give you the "classic" euphonium sound that most people want. Before the Willson, I owned a 642. My top student now owns a 642 and I've played on it quite a bit. I recently (2 days ago) switched to the 842. I absolutely love it. Yes, the main slide does have to be out a bit more because of the shorter leadpipe and first valve slide, but overall intonation is excellent for me. I can lip the Eb's with ease on the 842 and the extreme registers on the 842 sing with the same quality as the rest of the horn. The valves are incredible on the 842. They put my Willson valves to shame. Overall, I love the 842. I do not like having to pull the main slide out as much as I have to, but hey, that's the ONLY slide I have to pull out and every note that is possible for me to play I can play right in tune with my 842. The response is better than any horn I've ever played on, and the sound for me is unmatched. I haven't decided what mouthpiece I'm going to use full time with it yet. I'm experimenting with the 53H that it came with (which is a great mouthpiece for this horn in my opinion), the Schilke 52E2, and the Steven Mead SM3 (which I have played for years and love). Basically, I love the 842 and would not give it up for anything. Just my opinion though.

Follow Ups: