grade issues and grad school / job(long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Distraught in NY on July 15, 2002 at 12:11:47:

Sorry in advance for venting on this... I am having some issues with my college, and am seeking any advice/knowledge available on the follwing topic. I recently dropped a class past a deadline because of illness. I wasn't taking a lot of hours, and most of them were performance, they were all in the music department (I am a perf major). It was toward the end of the semester, but because of my sickness, I was having trouble in school. My professors were all very understanding and were doing everything they could to help me make it through. I did make it, (the ensembles were over, so why drop them? One course was graded by attendance only, and the other I stuck with but my grade was lower than usual). I chose to drop one unnecessary course, with the intention of pursuing it when I was in better physical health. Under the impression that a valid medical excuse was good cause for a late drop, my professor and I decided that dropping would be most beneficial to me.
The problem lies herewithin: I got a letter today, two months after the date of my submission for request to drop, (which I might add was complete with lab test results, a note from my doctor, and a letter of support from my professor. This was all sent to the student health services by the committee, where it sat for a month). The letter says there is no precedent for dropping ONE course, but only an entire load. Therefore, the committee "emphasizes" with me, but denied my request to drop. I am filing further petition with the Chair of the School, as is procedure, but am unsure of what results this may yield. The way I see it, the music major (or one in any of the arts for that matter) is structured differently than one where only sit-down bookwork classes are required.

So finally to the point... A grade of F for withdrawal cannot be removed without approval from someone. If no one approves, worst case scenario I can retake the class and get the A I could have gotten under normal circumstances. This will be reflected in my GPA, but not on my transcript.
So, with an F on my transcript, even though I have legitimate documentation and an updated grade, will a grad school or potential employer even LOOK at me? I know how competitive these positions are, and realize my applications will probably all be tossed upon the school / employer seeing that F. Is all hopeless? Should I just find a new field that won't require a PhD?

Thanks for ANY help! Sorry to vent!

Follow Ups: